Gender (check one): Male? Female? Eunuch?

India has granted it's other gendered populace the right to not be forced to pick Male or Female categories on ballot forms.

As per the BBC: Indian Eunuchs given separate IDs,  "There are about 500,000 eunuchs in India. Known as hijras, they comprise the hermaphrodite, transvestite and transsexual communities.
Eunuchs are feared and reviled in many parts of India, where some believe they have supernatural powers."


What does checking a gender box have to do with anything really?  Does it affect your vote?  Does it invalidate it?  My driver's license has my gender boxed under the heading of "SEX".  When I get pulled over for some infraction, I would prefer it read "SEX: Not Often While Driving, Officer."

If your gender changes during your lifetime (not I,  I've committed to a box already), I wonder how you identify yourself to yourself.  Obviously to the world you may change your presentation with a name change and wardrobe makeover.  But even that is often rejected.  So how about internally? Is it you? Or something unexpected? If any transsexual person would like to share, feel free to comment.

Oddly, this exciting new demographic has yet to catch on in the more penis friendly parts of the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a transgendered person, I have always internally identified as the opposite sex than I was born with. By the way, it goes both ways. I have friends who are going the other way from female to male. That is a category unrecognized by many people.

It's not really an exciting new demographic either. In the North America's there were Native American "two-spirits" who were transgendered individuals. They were recognized centuries ago. Also, for us it's something we deal with every day (not that we want to). It's a tough struggle for some people. Many of us have died from suicide and from people attacking us. November 20th is the Transgender Day of Remembrance, a day set aside to remember those who have died attempting to be themselves.

I will say that your last sentence is a tad bit offensive. Some of us wish we had a penis, other of us wish we didn't.

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you for the thoughtful response. I think the best thing that can be done in a format such as a blog is to begin a conversation.

As for the last sentence being offensive, I did feel like some could take it that way. But that is the case with most attempts at humor. They inspire a laugh in some, and a grimace from others. But at least we can begin a conversation.

Thank you for your insights.

Low Rider said...

Oh my gosh - we wouldn't want to offend anyone! Bravo to your sense of humour and good antured response to this claim of offense, albeit a tad.

Post a Comment